The decision taken to leave the European Union affects us all, but none more so than the young people of this country. Many of those young people were not able to vote – over 1.6 million 16-17yr olds – regardless of which side of the debate they fell, will also be subject to the outcome of this negotiation. It is more important now than ever before that they have a voice and that is what the the European Youth Parliament United Kingdom (EYPUK) is there to do. We remain determined to provide a platform for young people to share their views.
Yesterday the Government officially began the process of withdrawing the United Kingdom from the European Union. Now is the time to reiterate our values and purpose. We want to remind young people across the country that their voice matters and must be heard. Our work remains as important as ever.
As an apolitical educational charity EYPUK will continue to engage young people in European issues and providing an arena for expressing their views. Events like our Regional Sessions which take place across the UK for students aged 16/17, today we host a Regional Session in Belfast session, and Eurvoice (our outreach programme) which takes place tomorrow in Cardiff, represent the perfect way for young people to have their say and inform themselves on issues that directly affect them – be it at a local, national or European level.
With the recent launch of our EU Brexit blog we are providing an opportunity for young people to express their views and have these published on our website. We will collate these views and publish a report detailing the demands and desires of young people regarding the negotiations and the future relationship between the UK and the EU. We already have some great articles being published which reflect how important it is for young people to remain active and engaged during the next two years to ensure your future is preserved.
We would love to hear your thoughts on the triggering of Article 50, the negotiations and the future of the UK and the EU. No matter what your views are, please stay in touch and share them with us. We believe together we are stronger, and thus in these challenging times we still need your support.
- The European Youth Parliament United Kingdom is an apolitical charity that runs one of the largest debating competitions in the country reaching all parts of the UK including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- It is an entirely youth led organisation comprising of students and young professionals
- The regional programme brings together 16 and 17yr olds to debate key European topics
- EYPUK is part of wider umbrella organisation of the European Youth Parliament that reaches out to over 40,000 young people across Europe
- More information can be found on our website: http://www.eypuk.co.uk/
- For media enquiries please contact Dan Brown on 07717641422 / email@example.com